Citizens Advice Bureau

Home >>Help and Advice >>Citizens Advice Bureau

Caldicot & District Citizens Advice Bureau

Welcome to the Caldicot and District CAB web site. On this site you can find out more about the bureau, the service we provide and how to contact us.
At the Caldicot CAB we give you free confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects.

About Us

We can work with you to sort out any debt worries and claim all the benefits you may be entitled to. We can help with housing and employment problems, or deal with queries about consumer or tax issues. We can advise on legal matters, answer questions about immigration and we have lots of experience on family and personal matters too.

We are a charity, dependent on a workforce of paid staff and trained volunteers. Our funding comes from the Monmouthshire County Council, Caldicot Town Council and also from the Community Councils of Caerwent, Magor & Undy, Portskewett and Rogiet.

We speak up for change in social policies; from our clients ‘experiences’ we can see where services and policies are failing. We call this work “Campaigning for Change”.

We are a member of the national Citizens Advice service, which provides the extensive information system we use to advise clients and sets standards for advice, training, equal opportunities and accessibility in the bureau.

How to contact us

Caldicot & District Citizens Advice Bureau
The Cross
NP26 4HY
Telephone 01291 423840

Hours of opening

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10.00a.m. to 12.30p.m.
Thursday by appointment. 10.00a.m. to 12.30 and 1.30p.m. to 4.00p.m.

The bureau is open to clients for drop in advice, appointments may be made and some advice may be available by telephone. The bureau does not currently offer an e-mail advice service.

Home visits

This service is available in special circumstances on request.

Magor Outreach

The bureau offers an outreach advice service at The Surgery Magor, on Mondays 4.00p.m. to 6.00p.m.


To ensure that individuals do not suffer through lack of knowledge of their rights and responsibilities or of the services available to them, or through an inability to express their needs effectively.

And equally to exercise a responsible influence on the development of social policies and services, both locally and nationally.

The CAB Service is independent and provides FREE, confidential and impartial advice to everybody regardless of race, gender, disability or sexuality.

The Caldicot bureau is accredited by Citizens Advice the national body for CAB’s, the Community Legal Service, is a partnership member with other Monmouthshire bureau and County Trading Standards in the Consumer Support Network. In addition the bureau receives funding from the Wales Assembly Government for the ‘Better Advice Better Health’ project.

All advisors in the bureau are trained to a high standard and the training is ongoing.

Caldicot & District CAB is a generalist advice service. Using the Citizens Advice service’s unique information system we can give you free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects.

Social security benefits
If you are unsure about your entitlement to benefits the bureau can advise you. We can help with unemployment benefits and income support, housing benefits, the social fund, tax credits, disability benefit and incapacity benefit and jobseekers allowance.

We also have information on the current social security benefits rates.

We can give practical help by helping you work out your entitlement to benefits, help you fill in the appropriate forms, write review and appeal letters.

If necessary we can represent you at social security tribunals. We can take your case to the commissioners, if appropriate.

We press for improvements in social security law by using our knowledge of how people are affected by the current rules.

The bureau can advise you on all aspects of debt and the course of action open to you. We can help with preparing a budget statement, negotiating with creditors and representation at county court repossession hearings.

We press for improvements in how people in debt are treated by creditors by using our knowledge of how people are affected by current rules.

Consumer issues
If you are unsure about your consumer rights, at the Caldicot CAB we can advise you and help you to decide what to do next.

We can also give you practical help by negotiating with shops and traders, help you write letters, phone or fax companies on your behalf, help you with forms, help you with small claims procedures at the county court.

If your problem is complex we can arrange an appointment with a specialist consumer adviser, who visit the bureau on a regular basis.

We can advise you on all aspects of housing including: rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, tenancies, housing benefit, rent problems, including establishing ‘fair rents’, advice on eviction and problems with neighbours.

If you are unsure about your employment rights at Caldicot CAB we can advise you according to your written contract. If you don’t have a written contract we can advise you about your statutory rights including the minimum wage and holiday pay. We can give advice about benefits or tax credits you are entitled to when in work. We can also advise on race and sex discrimination at work.

We can give practical help by helping you make a claim for unpaid wages, checking redundancy payments are correct, advising on changes in terms and conditions, advising on your employee’s individual rights and identifying possible claims for unfair dismissal.

If necessary we can help take a claim to an employment tribunal and represent you free of charge. If your problem is complex we can arrange an appointment with a specialist employment adviser.

Legal system
At the Caldicot CAB (accredited by the Community Legal Service) we can help you gain access to justice, advise you on your entitlements under the community legal service, pursue compensation for accidents and injuries and give advice and guidance about going to court.

If necessary, we can make an appointment with a legal representative.

We can advise you on all aspects regarding the family, including: separation and divorce, maintenance and child support, parents rights and responsibilities, birth and adoption, change of name, what to do when someone dies.

If necessary we can refer you to a counsellor, a mediator or make an appointment to see a family lawyer.

At the bureau we can give advice on tax problems, including income tax, tax credits, inheritance tax and council tax.

We press for improvements in tax law by using our knowledge of how people are affected by the current rules.

At Caldicot CAB we can give advice on many aspects of immigration such as: visitor visas, fiancé(e)/spouse visas, student visas, settlement visas, work permits, immigration status, welfare benefits, asylum seekers and refugees.

In most cases we will be able to advise you. However, in certain cases our specialist adviser will make applications to the Home Office and, if necessary, make appeals on your behalf.


There are over 20,000 volunteers in the CAB service, but we still need more volunteers every year to help us meet the demand for advice.

We have opportunities for people to train as volunteer advisers, trustees, administrators, social policy campaigners and more. With so many different roles available you should be able to find a way to get involved. Find out more about what’s in it for you if you join the world’s largest advice network.

Caldicot Community Website